Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Oswald Cycle Works

Race Report
Date: 8/14/06
Race: Kinzua Classic
Distance: 60 miles

It’s been a year since I made my way to the Allegheny national forest for the Kinzua classic for the first time. It was fun the first time. This time I wasn’t expecting a good time. Tom, Jared, and I had decided to step up and do the 60 mile race instead of the 30 mile course. I didn’t figure I would have a chance of winning so I wasn’t at all nervous. Nobody was pushing the pace on the first hill in fact the first half of the race was pretty lame. Just before the second lap started the pace just exploded. Jared and I got gapped along with some other guys. I worked like a mule to bridge up. I finally caught the lead group right before the major climb of the course. I got dropped a few minutes later. Eventually I recouped and caught the group again at the top of the climb. I sat in the group. There was an attack and Jared made it in the break. I was in a bad position and couldn’t latch on. When I could I attacked but nobody went with me. I basically time trialed and I was catching the break and putting some serious distance between myself and the chase group. I never made it, I got caught and then we caught the lead group. By this time I was gassed. Eventually I picked up Jared and we chased, and we chased, and we chased some more. We were held up a little by some cars that got in our way, so we never did catch the lead group. I am not sure we could have any way. On the final climb to the finish I turned the screws as much as I could . I zig-zagged across the road like and idiot so that no one could sprint around me. I am surprised I had the presence of mind to be so devious. So that was the race in a nutshell. I don’t know exactly how everyone placed. However, I must mention that Jared and Sheila graced the podium…..or er…..the grass in front of the registration table. Also representing were Eric, Eric, Todd, Steve, Joe, and Tom. Way to go guys!

No comments: