Tuesday, August 01, 2006

2006 Wilderness 101 race report

The 2006 Wilderness 101 took place on July 29th. Eric Franck, Todd Heckler and I headed down to Coburn, P.A. to chafe away our buttcheeks on the most grueling terrain P.A. has to offer. Despite the rain on Friday, the course was pretty dry. This however did not make up for the extreme humidity and lack of air circulation. I think it was about 100 deg in the shade. The course stayed pretty much the same from last year with a few minor detours due to erosion. The field was a large one set at around 300 less the 70 or so that dropped out or DNS'd. Harlan price won the Men's over all and the Woman's overall was taken by Betsy Shogren. Tandem also put up a respectable time. Our friend John Majors won the Men's 50+ but Eric Franck was hot on his tail for the first half of the race. Our times were descent ranging from mid 10 hour to 12+. I will say that Chris Scott from Shenandoah Mountain Touring puts on a first class event and its guaranteed to be motivating and fun. Thanks to all the volunteers who cheered us on at every stop. It was just the boost we needed to keep pushing!

2 comments:

Josh Beals said...

Way to go you animals!!!

Anonymous said...

The truth is that I cracked! I had decided to quit as I was laying in the grass along side the trail at the 65 mile mark. Then along rolled Eric who convinced me to keep on rolling. He informed me that if I didnt finish I wouldnt get the coveted pint glass at the finish line. So...a big thanks to Eric!