Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Jinxed


Bikers are a superstitious group by nature. I am no exception. I am not sure if it is riding with Jesse and Tom, or the ghosts of fallbrook. I am beginning to think that maybe Armedia Mountain has something in for me. I first flatted out there about 4 years ago. In fact I double flatted, patched up, then promptly flatted again with no more patches to bail me out. The next event came when Tom and Eric and I rode up on the mountain and picked up a stray pooch that literally followed us for hours, what a fiasco that was. The next incident happened while on my way to Fallbrook, I hit a dog with my cross bike. Then Tom and Jesse and I were riding on the mountain this spring and I pinch flatted. I hardly ever get flats, even when I hit a dog. Then tonight I flat out on the mountain in the most bizarre way. I was just riding along when suddenly a stick gets lodged between the two spokes where the valve stem sits. The stick snapped the valve stem right off. What are the chances of that happening? I think the next time I go up there I will wear full body armor, you know, just in case I end up hitting a bear or end up riding into an abandoned mine shaft or something. sheesh

2 comments:

Jesse said...

The image of you falling into a mine shaft like Whiley Coyote comes to mind.

Jimmy K said...

that happens more than you may think...old school New England riders are famous for riding with schrader valves to prevent this from happening.