Monday, April 26, 2010

Ramble Around Prattsburgh

First I thought I'd let you know how I tried to get into shape for the race, secret training. I left Wellsboro and headed to Pittsburgh for a flight to California to see my grandson-Finn, daughters- Teri and Serena, and son-in-law Chad. I stayed in Pittsburgh for a couple days with John Majors and we got a couple of rides in, both days it rained on us but we had a good time anyway. I was sure it would be warmer in CA. so I left my cold weather gear at John's place. Not a good idea as it struggled to get into the low 60's just about every day with a cool wind blowing off the ocean. I keep an old mountain bike in San Deigo so I have something to ride while I'm there, not as fun as riding my cross bike, but it gets me around. Chad came home from work on Wed. told me a couple of co-workers rode their bikes to work and one of them, Stephane B had a spare road bike he would let me use if it fit me. Stephane and Sage invited me on their Sat. morning group ride and I accepted their offer but let them know I wasn't in real good shape and might not be able to keep up on the climbs. As it turned out, I was right. They were very gracious and waited at the top of every climb and I apologized for being so slow and they said it wasn't a problem that I was doing fine. The ride was supposed to be around 50 miles but turned out to be 38, I'm sure I was the reason for the mileage being less but we had a good ride. I want to thank the group, Stephane B, for letting me use his spare bike and the ride on sunday up Solidad Mountain, Sage, Bill, Eric, and Stephane for allowing me to ride with them on their Sat. ride.




NOW, back to the Ramble Around Prattsburgh. I did this race two years ago and really enjoyed the race course, missed last year because of shoulder surgery and was really looking forward to this year. I talked John Majors into driving up from Pittsburgh to do this race and told him he would really enjoy this one. I was right, we both did. The weather was cool cloudy and wet and made for a real good day for racing. The start was at 1:00 PM and took a differnt way than last two years making a loop around the town, down the main street, up the hill out on route 53 about 2 miles, making a right at the top of the hill in to some real nice single track with alot of twisting turns down hill, some real muddy spots, one of which I lost control and sliding laid my bike and left knee firmly into the ground, leaving me muddy and with a little less skin than I had when I started. No serious damage to bike or body just my confidence. Back on the bike I decided to be a little more cautious as I still had about 30 miles to go. Out on the road it seemed no matter which direction I pointed my nose the wind was blowing into my face which made it feel like I was pedaling in mud, oh it was mud. Around 25 miles in I was having alot of shifting problems as my drive train was caked with mud. First the chain came off and wedged between the frame and the cassette, lost a few minutes there and about 1 mile from the finish it locked up again, and I used two water bottles to clean the mud out of the cassette and continue through the last section of single track and on to the finish. Thanks to all the people working out on the course and all the people who help put this race together. I can only speak for myself and John, but we had a great time, looking forward to next year. I finished 62nd, John 44th out of 93, not great but good enough for me. Oh by the way alot of people were asking where Tom and the rest of the Mansfield crew was. I told every one you guys would be there. I figured you must of had car trouble.

THE MOVING FINGER WRITES; HAVING WRIT MOVES ON.

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Nice

Tom Oswald said...

Sorry to miss out on the Prattsburgh fun, but my house was so warm, and my bike was so clean, and my shorts were so dry that I just couldn't make it. Thanks for the nice report though. Now I wish I had gone!

Jay Heverly said...

Ramble? Prattsburgh? never heard of it. Nice job eric!