Monday, October 13, 2008

Iron Cross VI

Sunday oct. 12 I started my day at 3:30 AM headed to Mansfield to get Jimmy G. and head to Pine Grove Furnace to race the Iron Cross (ride) . We arrived at the race site about 8:00 AM the morning was chilly and Jimmy and I talked about what to wear for the day knowing that it was going to get up into the seventies. We picked up our numbers, talked with Tom O. Josh B. and Jarad S. and headed back to the truck to get ready. The race started at 9:00. Jimmy and I started near the back. Faster riders were up front. The start was the craziest thing you will ever see, as you ride around in in a circle in a 1 acre field for a couple of minutes. The race lasted for 6 hours and 17 minutes for Jimmy and me, covering some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. The single-track was some of best I've ever ridden and to do it on a cross bike totally amazed me. There was 60 miles of roads and trails with 6000 FT of climbing and a few hundred yards of hike-a-bike. I have to say this race is the most fun I've had on a bike in a very long time. If you like to be challenged and have a really good time you need to do this race.

3 comments:

Tom Oswald said...

Eric told me yesterday that Iron Cross was the most fun he's ever had with his bike shorts on.

Josh Beals said...

Well... maybe next year he should do it with them off....

Jay Heverly said...

be careful boys! We do not want to lose our lunch just yet!