Tuesday, September 16, 2008

MILTON 28 MILE BIKE RACE

Saturday, September 13th, Joanne and I picked Jimmy up at 7:30 AM and headed off to Milton, PA. Registration ended at 9:00 and we got there a few minutes early. Thinking we had an hour to get ready and warm up, we took our time. About 9:23, a fellow racer passed by informing us the race was about to start in a few minutes. We quickly grabbed our stuff and headed over to the start line just in time for the start. No warm up necessary as the sun was warming us like a couple of lizards ready to ride. The horn sounded and we were off. The first 5 or 6 miles were fairly flat and the pace was easy. I stayed near the front knowing there was a steep climb coming up, hoping to stay at the front. As we went into the climb I went hard realizing I couldn't hang with the lead group. Jimmy passed me and told me to keep my wheel out of the gravel. I finished the climb but could not catch the lead group again. I caught up with Jimmy a short time later on another climb and as I passed him he told me to "make him proud". I think he was not feeling well due to the lack of a warm up. I worked hard for another 10-15 minutes passing 3 or 4 riders, turned onto 642 and got caught by a small group of 8 riders, Jimmy being one of them. We all worked together for the last 7 or 8 miles and shortly before the finish, a steep climb put me towards the back. It was a great race. Jimmy finished a few seconds in front of me. A great time was had by all. This would be a good race for Josh, Jared and Tom. No warm up necessary.

No comments: