Tuesday, June 27, 2006

New York State TT, Part 2

Josh's earlier post summed up much of the TT. The course was windy and hilly. It was fast and times, it was slow at times. It was hot. It was painful. To borrow from Francis, I spent over an hour in that "unhappy place" that is the time trial zone. That is, I went to the redline, backed off a click or two, and stayed there. Pushed into the red at the end. Pushed way into the red.

Was my bike fast? Yes. Was I fast? Sorta. Was I happy with my ride? Yes. At the end of the race, I had nothing left. No kick at all. A steady acceleration from the top of the hill at the 5K to go mark to the finish toasted my legs and lungs. I rolled across the finish, my left hammie cramped, and I cooled down by pedaling one-legged for a couple hundred yards.

Some notes:

*There were some super fast folks out there. The quickest time was a little over 55 minutes.
*In our category, Cat 4/5, there were 23 starters.
* Jared finished 5th with a time of 1:03:08.
*Josh finished 6th with a time of 1:03:23.
*Those are smokin' times from OCW's young guns.
*I finished 19th with a time of 1:08:43. (As usual, I was the slowest of the fast guys. While all the racers ahead of (and including) me finished seconds apart, the guy behind me finished about two minutes down.)
*The team time trial was cancelled. That made me very happy.

Dust off your aerobars. We'll be going back next year.

Oswald Cycle Works

No comments: